When my love of McSweeney’s and travel collide.
Zach Jones lays out the joys and frustrations of trying to figure out where the hell you are when you don’t speak the language. An excerpt:
18. Figure out the right turn you wanted to make in step 3 was actually a hidden downward slope behind the one you made… -1 km
19. Continue on Correct Street, remain pessimistic… 2.6 km
20. Become aware that you are totally taking a gamble of whether or not you’re going the right way… 1.8 km
21. Ask another person for directions… 20 m
22. Hate yourself for being a stupid monolingual American… 2.3 cm
23. Become stressed, regret quitting smoking… 10 m
24. Be glad you quit smoking, because there’s a giant hill to walk up… 0.2 km
Go read the whole thing.